« Back

Autumn Dangers for Dogs

13/10/2020 - Training

Autumn Dangers Dog Owners Should Know About

The leaves have changed colour, the nights are drawing in and the air’s becoming crisp – autumn is here.  The winter chill is yet to hit and so autumn makes the perfect time to enjoy the great outdoors with your four-legged friend.
But with this beautiful season comes a unique set of challenges for us dog owners – both inside and outside the home. Some of which you may be completely unaware of!  So, it pays to learn about some of the risks our dogs face this season so you can keep them safe no matter what you get up to.

Fallen Leaves

Who doesn’t love running and jumping through fallen leaves on a crisp autumn day? I’m sure your dog is no exception! Piles of wet, rotting leaves are the perfect breeding ground for bacteria, fungus and mould to grow. This can lead to gastrointestinal issues if your dog ingests them. Your dog could consume the bacteria when they later lick themselves, so be sure to wash your dog down afterwards if they have been doing zoomies through leaf piles.

Conkers and Acorns

Seeing fallen conkers and acorns on the ground is common at this time of year.   Most dogs will not be interested in them, but some, especially puppies, may be tempted to pick them up or play with them. Both are poisonous to dogs if ingested and cause stomach problems, vomiting and intestinal blockages if they are eaten. Please never play catch or fetch with conkers or acorns.

Wild Mushrooms and Toadstools

Please also be cautious if you see any mushrooms and toadstools. Many species are edible whilst other types are extremely dangerous. It can be extremely difficult to tell the two apart – even experts struggle to distinguish the safe from the toxic.  We would recommend keeping your dog well away from all mushrooms you find growing in the ground. Signs can vary significantly from a tummy upset to hallucinations, neurological signs, liver, and kidney failure. If you find your dog has eaten one, it is better to be safe than sorry. Seek veterinary help immediately.

Halloween Treats

During this time of year, we beginning to hibernate and spend a little more time indoors relaxing on the sofa with the family, the dog and a selection box of chocolates and your favourite tipple. With Halloween just around the corner there will be plenty of treats around too so bear in mind chocolate, sugary sweets and alcohol are dangerous for our dogs if eaten.
Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs and can cause seizures, vomiting and diarrhoea. Alcohol can cause vomiting, dehydration, disorientation, and in more severe cases collapse and coma.
Xylitol can be found is sugary sweets and is a common sugar-free ingredient for humans BUT is extremely toxic to dogs! Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs.
Keep the chocolates, trick-or-treat bags and your favourite tipple behind cupboard doors or out of reach. If your dog shows any signs they have consumed something they shouldn’t, speak to your vet straight away.

What is OK for my dog to consume dog in Autumn?

Dogs can eat pumpkin! They can eat both the pulp and the seeds. The pulp is low in calories, and its blend of soluble and insoluble fibre makes it an effective remedy for diarrhea and constipation alike.
Does your dog like the taste of pumpkin?
Autumn is a wonderful time to go on walks and adventures with your four-legged friend but it’s a good idea to be aware of the common risks your dog could come across so that you can keep them safe and well all year round.

For training support and advice join our Facebook Community Group I'm in the group every day sharing information and answering your questions, and the best thing is... it's totally free to be part of our group!